Thursday, October 22, 2015

Self-Care - The Circle Link Up


The Circle is a monthly link-up that was born with dreams of creating a place for bloggers to get to know one another just a little bit better and to make new friends, too. As C.S. Lewis wisely wrote, I want more bloggers to have this feeling: "FRIENDSHIP IS BORN AT THAT MOMENT WHEN ONE PERSON SAYS TO ANOTHER: 'WHAT! YOU TOO? I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.'"

The Circle Link-Up is hosted by In Its Time Blog along with a different co-host each month. She will send out an email each month with the topic for that month. This month is Self-Care and the co-host is Sometimes Photo Jenik. If you would like to participate and link up please go here

Since this month is about self-care it seemed to me as if that would be hard for me to write about. I know how to take care of myself and I am positive you know how to take care of yourself right? But after thinking about it and reading some of the other posts it is more about how you take care of yourself on a day to day basis. Self-care can be how you take care of yourself mentally as well as physically.

One way to take care of yourself is to find something that makes you feel good and do it often. Find a way to relieve stress, have fun and enjoy life even in the midst of all the chaos we all call life.


One of my favorite ways to relieve stress is to read. I am an avid reader and books are my lifeline. Books to me are like a security blanket to a child. When I am upset, scared, or even sad I turn to my books to take me on a journey when I have no place to go. There are so many types of books to choose from for this from self-help books to humorous books.


Another thing that helps me when I am down is to just spend some time with my husband. It may be going out for dinner or lunch, or just taking a ride to get away from it all. Although my best time is to take a day or two and go on a small trip and forget everything. This is not always possible for us so we take whatever moments we can get to spend with each other alone to restart our moods back to where we want them to be.


A guilty pleasure of mine that I like to do when I am having a bad day and just want to relax and enjoy myself is to watch my favorite tv shows. I can watch The Property Brothers and Real Housewives all day long and just forget about life.


Another way to take care of yourself is to always have dreams and never let go of them. Dreams are a way to know that you have something to reach for. Your dreams can be as small as you want or as big as you want. I have a dream to write a book and to travel to Europe. These are two dreams I think of often and of ways to make them come true. 


Journaling is a great way to take care of yourself. For me it is a way to write down my feelings and to get them off my chest when I can't really say what I want to say. Sometimes people will upset me but I am not able to tell them what I really want to say as it would cause more problems then it is worth so I journal about it rather than keep it bottled up. If I tend to keep things bottled up then I tend to feel worse. 

One last thing that I want to mention that I use for self care is a long hot bubble bath. This is a great way to relax, let things go and just enjoy some nice relaxing quiet time. I am always looking for new soaps, bubble baths and melter cubes (candles). I love all the scents they have out there. When I find one I love and have it going while enjoying my bath it helps me to say "Calgon take me away"(in case you don't know this saying it is from a commerical for Calgon bubble bath). A nice candle burning also helps me to relax as the scents I pick for me just seem to help me think of other things. My favorites are fresh or fruity smells. I especially love all things lavendar. Some other scents I like are lilac, fresh cut grass, pine, apple, cinnamon, patchouli etc. 

What are some things you do to take care of yourself?

3 comments:

  1. I like your list!

    I never thought of reading as a self-help time but it totally is! It's a great way to get your mind off of the busyness and focused on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list!

    I never thought of reading as a self-help time but it totally is! It's a great way to get your mind off of the busyness and focused on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you mentioned dreaming--I never really thought about that as part of self-care! It's definitely a way to stay positive, keep moving forward, and really just get through each day. I think I need to add that to my list, too! :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete