Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Religion - Do you question your faith?


Religion - Do you question your faith?

I can't believe I am writing about this as my rule is do not talk religion or politics with people. The reason is that they are two things that people have very strong opinions about and arguments tend to break out, feelings get hurt and friendships end. I do not want that to happen here so please respect each other's views.

I was lying in bed last night and thinking about religion. Don't ask me why this popped into my head but it did. It has to be because earlier in the evening I was looking up some books that I looked interesting to me and a lot of them had some element of faith in them. 

I grew up going to a Southern Baptist Church in Kansas and was baptized as a pre-teen by my choice. As an adult I have went to church for awhile at a Methodist church in Nebraska. I was very involved in both churches as those points of my life. Now I do not attend a church. It is my belief that you can be a good Christian even if you do not attend a church regularly. 

When I read stories about Christians most of them talk about some great experience they have had or how their life has changed or how God has spoken to them. For me I have not had any of these experiences so at times I feel as if I must have done something wrong or am a bad Christian. I wonder if I am doing something wrong or am I just not as open minded enough to receive what needs to be said to me. Or is that moment still to come in my life.

I live what I consider to be a good Christian life we are perfect so we all make mistakes. I don't lie, cheat or steal. I very seldom drink, I try not to curse and I try to treat others the way I want to be treated. But I still feel like I am missing something. Sometimes when a book involves too much religion in it I tend to pass it up as for some reason to me it almost seems fake or too over the top for me. It is just a big turn off for me. I think this is because I have not had any of those experiences so I can't imagine the deep emotions and feelings they get from it. Am I the only one out there who feels this way?

I have read and seen things about other religions and they seem very interesting to me as well as they make sense. But then I feel guilty for reading or listening to these things. Is there a problem with being open minded and learning about other religions? When I do find that other religions make sense to me I feel like I am doing very wrong and I will be in trouble or judge for trying to learn and understand others. I believe this comes from being taught that Christianity is the "only" religion and if you do not believe then you will go to hell, and who wants to go there. 

People have said that things from other religions can't be proved or never happened. Well in my opinion whether it is right or wrong is how can the stuff that happened in the Bible be proven. It is not all proven and the Bible is a book that is full of stories that were told by a king and compiled into one book to be passed down. This is also true of other religions they have their own stories that have been passed down for generations. So who is right and who is wrong?

I have also found a lot of very judgmental Christians in my life and that is one thing that I do know is that we were not put on this Earth to judge others. If you are a Christian then it is God who will judge you in the end. So for you do judge others is very hypocritical. This is one thing that turns me away from churches as I don't like feeling judged for wearing jeans to church instead of a dress, for not having a lot of money, or for being me. Yes this does happen everyday in churches and has happened to me. Maybe this is why I feel the way I do, I do not know.

What makes one religion right or wrong? Who can say you will have bad things "happen" to you if you do not follow the said "right" religion? Am I wrong for for being open minded for reading and listening to things about other religions or beliefs other than Christianity? Do followers of other religions feel the same way I do? 


No comments:

Post a Comment