Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Every Day in May - Day 5 - From the archives


This is a project started by Life Behind the Purple Door. She has posted an idea for a blog post everyday in May. I thought it would be a good idea so I am going to join in. If you would like to join in as well you can go to her site at Life Behind the Purple Door and see the list of ideas. 

From the archives

Here is the topic for today: share a post from a past May. Either repost, or update on something that happened. The catch? It has to be at least two years old. (If you haven't been blogging that long, that's ok, go back six months to a year, instead.)

I started my blog in July of 2013 and here is the second post I wrote for this blog: 

The Beginning of a Journey

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Well I took that big step last Sunday. My husband, daughter and I made the choice to start a healthier lifestyle. We will be changing the way we eat as well as what we eat. For me the hardest thing to give up is coke. I drank at least two to three cans a day and even though I knew it was bad for me I still wanted it.

The two hardest times for me has been at work on late in the evening. At work I sometimes eat out of boredom and stress. When I get upset I tend to want to snack on junk which is really not healthy for you. In the evening you tend to want to have that snack handy while watching tv and I am guessing it is out of boredom.

I also have a bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night to get something to eat. When I was pregnant with my son 21 years ago I started this habit I would wake up because I was starving and my grandpa would be up because he could not sleep. He was battling cancer and the medication would keep him up. So we would sit up with the dog and talk and snack. I think that in the back of my mind that is why I kept this habit up for so long as my grandpa died just two weeks before Matthew was born and this is a memory of mine that is mine alone. Some habits are hard to break but if you try you can do it. This is a habit I am learning to break, now when I wake up I don't get something to eat just a drink of water and back to bed.

This first week has been full of challenges but I have made it though the week and it has not seemed as hard as I thought it would be. Last night I wanted some pizza and a coke so we had the healthy alternative of making homemade pizza with a whole wheat crust, turkey pepperoni and turkey sausage. I thought it tasted pretty good. As for the coke, I was going to have a mini can of it and I started drinking it but it did not taste good to me so I did not even drink half of it. So I felt pretty good.

Another challenge I have had this week was wanting chocolate. I did not end on this instead of reaching for a piece of candy I reached for a yogurt with granola to satisfy my sweet tooth. Yesterday when I was at the store I was able to find some bars that I can have when I want some chocolate and I am positive this will be a good thing. I also found some healthy alternatives to regular chips. We are hoping we like them. Some of the big challenges are finding snacks when you feel like munching.

Both Scott and I are going to start looking or recipes so we can find more kinds of meals to have for dinner and that will also be a big help.

We know this will be a long and hard journey but we are willing to take it as the reward in the end will be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment