Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Nebraska - The Good Life


I am originally from Nebraska even though I now live in Florida. Nebraska is where my heart will always be and where I will always call home. One day I would like to move back there and I always joke with my husband and tell him that is where I want to die. When you drive into Nebraska you will see the sign on the road that says Nebraska - The good life and I wholly agree with it. 

I believe that one of the things that I love about this state is all of the memories I have from there. I was born there and lived there until second grade at which time due to my dad's job we had to move to Kansas. I know you are saying Kansas is the same no it is not and I did not like living there. I did not fit in because I was not from there. Unfortunately that is how it was in the small town in Kansas where we lived. So I got to spend every summer in Nebraska with my grandparents as well as we made many holiday trips as well as just plain ole' trips there to visit with our family. The day I graduated from high school I moved myself right back to Nebraska. 



People are always asking me what is in Nebraska. I hate this question because people are always saying there is nothing there but a bunch of flat land. Even when you watch tv shows and movies like to make fun of Nebraska and nothing makes me angerier than that. We are not a bunch of dumb know nothing people. In fact there are many famous people from our great state. Here is a list of some of them: Johnny Carson, Larry the Cable Guy, Marlon Brando, Warren Buffet, Hilary Swank,Malcom X, Gerald Ford, Nicholas Sparks, Dick Cheney, Jorge Garcia, Scott Porter, Nick Nolte, Marg Helgenberger, and Henry Fonda. 

I am going to share a few fun facts about Nebraska that you probably did not know and now you will know what is in Nebraska. 


Our state nickname used to be "the tree planter's state" but was changed in 1945 to "the Cornhusker State"

J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872. To this day on Arbor Day all grade school kids get a tree sapling to take home and plant. 

Nebraska has the world's largest aquifer (underground lake/water supply) Ogalala Aquifer


In 1927 Edwin Perkins of Hastings invented Kool-aid

Nebraska has more miles of rivers than any other state

It is the only state in the Union with a unicameral (one house) legislature


Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich

It was the first state to complete its segment of the nations mainline interstate system

911 system of emergency for the entire nation was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska

Lincoln County is the origin of the world's largest "Wolly Mammoth" elephant fossil


Carhenge is located in Nebraska

Dr. Harold Edgerton of Aurora, Nebraska is the inventor of the strobe light.

Sidney, Nebraska was the starting point of the Black Hills Gold Rush

In 1950 Omaha became the home of the College World Series


Father Flanagan founded Boys Town in Omaha in 1917. 

Union Pacific Railroad's Museum in headquartered in Nebraska

Cozad, Nebraska is located on the 100th Meridan where humid east meets the arid west

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has the largest weight room in the country - it is 3/4 of an acre

The University of Nebraska Cornhusker football team has produced more Academic All-Americans than any other Division I school


Chimney Rock is the most often mentioned landmark in journal entries by travelers of the Oregon Trail

Weeping Water is the nations largest limestone deposit and producer

Nebraska has more underground water reserves than any other state in the continental US 


Spam is produced in Fremont, Nebraska

The Lied Jungle in Omaha is the world's largest indoor rain forest

Mutual of Omaha corporate headquarters is a public building built with seven floors underground

Borsheims in Omaha has the largest jewelry store in the nation

The major industries are corn, soybeans, wheat, sorghum, grain processing and meat packing. So as I like to say if Nebraska was not here you would not eat. We have everything on your plate. 

I hope you have enjoyed the fun facts about my home state. I have enjoyed sharing them with you.


2 comments:

  1. This was great! I don't think I knew any of these facts and I live in a neighboring state (Missouri). I loved that Carhenge!! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am visiting from the Ultimate Blog Challenge. I love all your interesting facts about Nebraska. I was born and raised on the East Coast, so a lot of your facts were new to me, or if I knew them, I had forgotten them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete