Tuesday, December 30, 2014

December Daily 2014 - Days 7 - 10


Day 7
Christmas Traditions

My family has never really had any family traditions to speak of. So this may be a little short. 

One thing we do every year is on Christmas Eve instead of dinner we have meat, cheese, crackers, cheeseball, and little smokies to snack on. Then after we are all done eating we open presents. They we snack all night long until it is time to go to bed. That is when Santa comes for the kids. 

When my grandpa Mayberry was alive he would always have grandma make chili and he would make oyster stew for dinner and the whole family would come and eat and enjoy each others company. 

My mom and dad used to make candy at Christmas time but have not done it for years. Now my aunt does some and even my sister likes to do this. Me not so much. 

Every Christmas we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with the kids as our own little family tradition. 

I hear and see others talking about their traditions and wish sometimes that we had more of them to pass down. When my kids have a family I hope they make their own traditions. 

Day 8
Things I like about Christmas

Things I like about Christmas. I enjoy reminiscing about all the good Christmas' we had as a child for one. Another thing I enjoy is looking at all the houses that are lit up like Christmas trees. I also enjoy seeing all the different decorations and the way people decorate their trees. There is nothing I like better than a well lit and decorated tree. One of my favorite things to look at is gingerbread houses. Some of the detail that goes into them is amazing. 

One of the best things about Christmas is to see the spirit of giving come to life in those who throughout the rest of the year are a grinch. There also seems to be more of a sense of community at this time of year as well.  Christmas for me is a time to get together and have fun and remember all the good times. 

Day 9
What brings you joy

This seems to be the time of year when people think more about what really brings them joy. When in truth we should think of this all year long. 

Some of the things that bring joy to me are seeing pictures of my nieces and nephews as well as getting to talk to them on the phone. 

Memories of days gone by with my grandparents.

Reading a good book with a nice holiday theme

Watching old Christmas cartoons.

Day 10 
Sayings to think about

Today I left the holiday theme behind to share some of my favorite sayings that I enjoy reading.

Live Laugh Love

Keep Calm and Carry On

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Nothing is impossible the word itself says I'm possible - Audrey Hepburn

Think positive, be positive, and positive things will happen

Every day may not be good but there's something good in every day

She believed she could, so she did - believe in yourself

One small positive though in the morning can change your whole day

You are a writer already. Today. Now. So start writing the book, the novel, the blog, your life's work. Today is a good time to start. Now is even better. 

A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams comes true.



No comments:

Post a Comment