Tuesday, December 30, 2014

December Daily 2014 - Days 5 & 6


Day 5
Best Christmas

My parents always made sure we had a nice Christmas but one of our best Christmas' was my parents worst. 

My parents had no money for presents so at the last minute they went to an auction and bought our gifts. We thought they were the best ever. My sister and I got a dolhouse and kitchen to share and my brother got a drum set. It makes my parents feel good to know we felt this way. 

Another great Christmas was the year Santa came to my grandparents house. One year we went to my Grandma and Grandpa Mayberry's house in Nebraska as we did for many holidays. All of our cousins were there as well so there was a houseful. Well we heard a nose on the roof so grandpa, dad and uncle Teddy went out to see what it was. The next thing we heard was a gun shot - mind you I am a country girl so I did not really think twice about this. Then the next thing we know they all came in and told us they accidently shot a deer. A few minutes later we heard a knock at the door and who could it be but Santa. He was there to deliver presents to us and give her reindeer a rest as they got scared by a gun shot - turns out the deer was not shot - thank goodness. What a nice time we all had. 

Day 6
More on decorations

I love looking at Christmas decorations and lights. There are so many out there to choose from. 

I remember as a kid going to the next town over to drive around and look at all the houses decorated with Christmas lights. There was a park that would decorate for Christmas, play music and hand out candy canes at the end. The lights were such a sight to see. 

When I had kids we would do the same thing with them and even bring them to Santa's house to visit and ride the train. 

Here in Florida we do not get to do this so much as they just don't seem to have the same spirit as there was in Nebraska. I sure miss the lights that mixed with snow on the ground makes Christmas seem like Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment