Thursday, November 20, 2014

Happiness Project - August


The Happiness Project - August - Contemplate the Heavens

First of all I want to apologize for my absence in writing. I guess I started to think of it as a chore and that is not what I wanted it to be. So I after taking a break I am going to start back into my writing with a new attitude. 

In the month of August Gretchen tells us that she chose to do three things to help her contemplate the Heavens. 

First read memoirs of catastrophe - she stated that by doing this she learned to live fully and thankfully in the present. This prompted her to start a one-sentence journal. Her journal was a place to record moments that make life sweet but that you forget easily. Many people keep journals like this and use them for different reasons. One person who traveled a lot used his to write about his family, another person used their's to record one thing of happiness from each day, and yet another kept a work journal to record things he learned as he started his business. 

Next Gretchen started a gratitude notebook - I love this idea and really need to embrace it more than I do. Gratitude is important to happiness. This has been proven through studies. Now this is not for all people but I say give it a try and see if it works for you. I think if we focus on the good things rather than the bad only good can come from it. 

Lastly this month she suggests to imitate a spiritual master - For me this seems a little bit harder to do, maybe I just need to be a little more open minded. Her Gretchen's book she says "One of the most universal spiritual practices is the imitation of a spiritual master as a way to gain understanding and discipline." Some people consider many different people to be spiritual leaders not just religious people. A few examples of master that people have imitated and studied are Winston Churchill, Abraham, Lincoln and Warren Buffet.

So as you reflect on this month's installment what would you like to start doing? Personally I would like to start a gratitude/one sentence journal and read more master's biographies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment