Saturday, June 7, 2014

Motivational Speakers - Like or Hate - That is the Question


I don't know about you but I am not a big motivational speaker fan. The thought of having to listen to the likes of Anthony Robbins makes me cringe. In fact it does the opposite of what it is supposed to do - it does not motivate me it makes me almost angry. Well my husband is quite the opposite, he is a pretty big Anthony Robbins fan and is always trying to get me to listen to him or read his books. I thought I had finally convinced him to stop trying but no that was not the case. He came to me and said I want you to listen to this guy. My first thoughts were oh no here we go again - how do I tell him no without making him mad. Next he told me that it is not Anthony Robbins but a guy named Jim Rohn and I really think you will like him. So he gathered our two kids and myself and told us we were going to watch this four hour lecture with him on youtube. None of us were too excited about this but I tried to go in with an open mind since I am trying to change my attitude and the way I think about things. For once I am glad I did so - I have absolutely fell in love with listening to Jim Rohn and since that day about two weeks ago I have listened to about six or eight video lectures by Jim and have taken pages and pages of notes. This is something I never thought I would do. Let me introduce you to Jim Rohn.


Jim Rohn was an only child that grew up on a farm in Idaho. Now he is not anyone special so to speak just an average person. Around the time he was 25 he was broke, had no money, the creditors were calling and as he said he did not even have $2 to buy a box of girl scout cookies. That is when he decided he did not want to live like that anymore and he meant his mentor John Shoaff. John taught Jim how to change his life, you change your thinking, you change the way you do things and how you spend your money and your life will change. Of course I am not giving his story justice by any means. I invite you to listen to his lecture How to Have the Best Life Ever (click here) where you can here him tell you his story. 

Jim has a great way of looking at life and helping you to figure out how to set goals and how this will help you in life. I am not going to tell you all the notes I have made because I want you listen to him yourself and see what you get out of what he has to say. Some of the things I have listened to so far are - Goal Setting Workshop #1 and #2, 10 Great Powers, Three Keys to Greatness and How to Kick the Worry Habit. Jim also has some books out there that I am in the process of getting my hands on to read. You can also check out his website here. Unfortunately Jim passed away in 2009 so all we have is his legacy to carry us on and to learn from. 

Here are Jim's Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle - which are what he considers to be the five components of success. 

1 - Philosophy - how you think
2 - Attitude - how you feel
3 - Action - what you do 
4 - Results - measure often to see if you are making progress
5 - Lifestyle - the kind of life you can make for yourself out of the first four pieces


Now I am going to leave you with a few of my favorite Jim Rohn quotes. 










Be sure to check out all the great blog posts from the other Jack of All Trades participants by stopping by A Harvest of All Blessings click here


1 comment:

  1. So interesting, I've never heard of him before, and I like that kind of stuff. :) Thanks for sharing and for linking up with JOAT!

    ReplyDelete