Friday, October 11, 2013

31 Days of Writing Challenge - Day 10


I missed yesterday's post so I am going to do it now. This post is going to be about Laura Ingalls Wilder. 

Ever since I was a little girl, I have been fascinated by Laura. It is kind of hard for me to explain why I like her so much. I think the main thing I usually say about her is that she was a very strong woman and I love the time period that she grew up in. Another thing about her is that she is from the Midwest just like me. 

Laura as a young girl

Let me start by telling you a little about her. Of course I am sure everyone has heard of her or her Little House on the Prairie books. The first thing I want to say is that although the tv show was a great show it is not true, don't get me wrong there are tidbits of Laura's life throughout the show and the pilot is the closet to her life than the rest of the series. 

Laura was born on February 7, 1867 in Pepin, Wisconsin and this is where her journey and her memories begin. Charles Ingalls - Laura's dad had what I call a wandering foot and moved the family quite a few times. I believe he was just trying to do what was best for his family and to find a place that made him happy. This ended up giving Laura lots to write about in her later years. I think all the moving and things she went through is what made her a strong person. 

Laura as a young lady

Laura had to endure life on the prairie, the long winter where many died, Indians, bears, fires and much more and many of these at a young age. The Laura met Almanzo and after they were married she continued to move around the country to find the right place to settle that was good for Almanzo's health. They finally landed in Missouri. Laura had one daughter Rose. Rose helped Laura in her later years with her stories so they could be turned into a series of books for young and old alike. I don't think either of them thought the books would be as big of a success as they were. 

I personally have read probably close to twenty books about Laura and her family. I am always looking for new book to read about her. I have been to her parent's home in DeSmet, South Dakota and have been twice to Mansfield, Missouri. I would love to visit  the other sites where she lived. I will never have enough books about her. In fact I am reading one right now about her daughter called A Wilder Rose. 

Laura signing her books

If I could go back in time and meet one person it would have to be Laura. I also like reading quotes and helpful life tips from her. I think she was very wise. Again I don't really know how to describe what it is about her that I love but I just do. If there is anything that you want to know about her just ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment