Friday, August 16, 2013

Friendship Friday - Hobbies


Wow two posts from me in two day - right. Well I saw this week's Friendship Friday hosted by Create with Joy was about hobbies and thought I can write about that. 


Everyone that knows me knows that my biggest and most favorite hobby is reading or should I say collecting books. Ever since I was little I remember loving to read. When it was Friday we used to go to town to get groceries, go out to eat and get a toy. While my sister and brother would get that toy I on the other hand would pick out a book. As a young kid I liked reading Laura Ingalls Wilder, Nancy Drew, and Encyclopedia Brown. As a teen I started on the romance books of Silhouette books teens and Sweet Valley High. Now as an adult I read most genres except for horror, science fiction and paranormal. A few of my favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati, Laura Childs, Rhys Bowen, Robyn Carr and Barbara Taylor Bradford. 

Along with my book collecting I collect bookmarks. I used to always buy a new bookmark every time I bought a new book. Now a days I don't do that so much instead I look for bookmarks that mean something to me or that I can't live without. Some of my favorites I have picked up lately are Big Bang Theory themed bookmarks, Keep Calm, cupcake, and landscape themed bookmarks. I usually try to match my bookmarks with the book I am reading - for example if I am reading a historical book I will try to pick a historical themed one. If I am reading a cozy by a certain author and I have a book mark from her I will use that bookmark. My collection of bookmarks how now reached well over 1000 and continues to grow. 


Another hobby of mine is to collect post cards. One reason I like postcards is they can take you to places where you may never get the chance to go. I have postcards from all over the world. I am on a quest to get one from each state as well and am almost there. Every time a friend or relative goes somewhere I ask two things - Can you please look for a postcard and bookmark for me. They are a cheap way to travel. My collection of postcards has reached over 500 at last count. One of these days I am going to put them all in a book. 

My last two hobbies go hand in hand with each other. They are both a hobby that sometimes I do a lot and other times I don't do at all. I have to be in the right mood to do them. They are scrapbooking and card making/stamping. I have been doing both since my kids were little. I used to use stamping as a stress reliever at the end of the day when my kids would go to sleep. Then I got into card making as it was fun to do and people love getting homemade cards rather than a store bought one as its just means something to them. I have to confess I have not done either of these for quite a while now and really need to get back into it. My daughter and nieces love looking at the scrapbooks and show them to people all the time. It is nice to know that I have done something they will enjoy forever. 


It's your turn now. What kind of hobbies do you have? Are they collecting something? Making something? Helping someone? Tell me about them, I would love to hear from you. 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post :) I also enjoy books although I am not sure that I collect them. The idea of putting your postcards in a book sounds wonderful. I think that would make for a most enjoyable read. I was your neighbor this morning at Friendship Fridays.
    Have a great day!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you stopping by. I am headed over to check out your post now. I like to say I collect my books because I have so many I will never get them read in my lifetime. My family even teases me about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Angela,
    We have a few hobbies in common. Obviously, the obsession of reading. I don't have a huge collection of books like you do but I do have enough and haven't even read 1/2 of them yet. I prefer to try to borrow from the library first unless it is a book I need for a collection.
    I like to scrap book too. I never took a class in it, but I enjoy doing my own thing and creating as I go along.
    Since I am into Disney, I am always on the lookout for things related to The Seven Dwarfs. They are my favorite.
    How long have you been collecting postcards and bookmarks?
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been collecting bookmarks since I was a kid. I used to buy a bookmark every time I bought a book. My postcard collection I would say started when I took a trip with our church youth group when I was a teenager and bought a set of postcards while on the trip.

      Delete
  3. My hobbies would include reading and baking. I enjoy cross-stitching also!

    I had a bookmark collection when I was younger, and I still collect some to this day.

    ReplyDelete